Monday, July 18, 2011

HOW TO SURVIVE AND REMAIN SANE IN THE 21ST CENTURY

There was a time in my life when I was very angry. And if I was to be perfectly honest, I enjoyed it. It spurred me on to learn, to grow, to speak. Those who knew me during that time knew I was not one to be messed with. They did not know WHAT I would do, but they knew it would not be pleasant. When people stepped to me, they stepped correctly and that is exactly how I liked it.

At some point,though,the anger stopped working for me. I lost some very important people in my life and the sadness seemed to consume me. I just wanted a sense of PEACE. Fighting for what was right just became too tedious. I did the work to get better and I'd like to share what I have learned on my journey to peace and happiness.

1. If you are in a job that is draining you-leave it. Yes, the economy is terrible, and money is tight, and you have bills to pay. But if you are unhappy each and every day because of a lousy job you are not really living anyway. Have enough faith in YOURSELF that there is a better world out there. You are smart and a hard worker and you CAN do it.

2. Learn to develop a sense of humor, because sometimes you just HAVE to laugh.

3. Don't be ashamed to have a sense of righteous indignation, because SOMETIMES the situation demands it.

4. You must have a belief in someone/something bigger than yourself. A higher power.


5. Learn to say NO without equivocation or hesitation. It will save you a lot of grief.

6. A working knowledge of The Bill of Rights, because after all, it speaks to all of us.

7. You should have a relationship with a good lawyer and have him/her on speed dial.


8. You should memorize your rights as set out under Miranda v Arizona (1966)


9. A basic knowledge of your rights as an American citizen if interacting with police officers for ANY reasons.


10. A cell phone with a clear microphone and good video quality. Or a camcorder. You never know when you need "evidence". Make sure you know when it is legal to do this.



11. At least ONE ride or die friend who will tell you when enough is enough. And will tell you at the exact moment you need to hear it.

12. A passport. Get this as soon as possible. It will become more difficult in the future.

13. A favorite song that speaks to your soul. And listen to that song as often as you need to.

14. A skill that no one can do better.

15. A real knowledge of those who came before.


16. Ten books on your bookshelf that are timeless and that you read over and over. And over. These are mine:

*The Choice by Sam Yette
*The Perverted Priorities of American Politics by Duane Lockard
*The Wretched of the Earth by Franz Fanon
*Black Families in White America by Andrew Billingsley
*What Color is Your Parachute by Richard Bolles
*Guide My Feet by Marian Wright Edelman
*The Habit of Surviving by Kesho Yvonne Scott
*Black Economics by Jawanza Kunjufu
*The Value in the Valley by Iyanla VanZant
*The Lifetime Legal Guide - 21st century Edition by Steven M. Sack
*The Glass House Tapes by Louis Tackwood and the Citizens Research and Investigation Committee
*The Africans by Ali Mazrui
*Fifty Black Women Who Changed America by Amy Alexander
*Black Psychology edited by Reginald Jones
*Revolutionary Suicide by Huey P. Newton
*The Readers Digest Great Encyclopedic Dictionary - Eleventh Printing (which should be about 1977)
Yeah. Yeah. I know this is more than ten. But all of these books are life changing.

16. Mad money to do with as you please.

17. Emergency funds to what you must.

18. A home computer. And the ability to use it. It is the gateway to the WORLD.

19. At least one friend who was NOT born in America.

20. A will. We all will die. Prepare for it.








No comments: