Saturday, August 13, 2005

Kevin Dukes-Sunset August 4, 2005



A special young man died a week ago. It is so strange how I came to "know" him because I never really met him. But I work with someone whom he graciously entertained in Seattle on their vacation a little less than a month before he died. His last words to this person was to go back and spread the story that he was enjoying the good life. And he wasn't bragging-he was just telling about the joy he felt about what he was doing. I was fortunate enough to see pictures taken on this trip and had an opportunity to see pictures of this marvelous sunset that he loved to show off. From everything that I have heard and read about him, he would not have changed anything, not even the way he died. He loved flying. He had a dream and he went for it. Can you imagine it? A 26 year old African American man from the South who was a test pilot for Boeing? And who was co-owner of his own company? And who had even bigger plans on a worldwide scale.

What a great young man.

So Kevin, I pay tribute to you today and I hope I have helped to spread your good news. And thanks, Stanley, for sharing him with me.

No comments: