Saturday, September 17, 2005

They're Coming for Us

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out - because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the communists
and I did not speak out-because I was not a communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out-because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me -
and by then there was no one left to speak out for me.


OR HOW ABOUT THE EXACT TEXT:


When Hitler attacked the Jews, I was not a Jew,
therefore I was not concerned.
And when Hitler attacked the Catholics, I was not a Catholic,
and therefore, I was not concerned.
And when Hitler attacked the unions and the industrialists,
I was not a member of the unions and I was not concerned.
Then Hitler attacked me and the Protestant church-
and there was nobody left to be concerned.

-The first is a revised version and the second is the exact text of what Pastor Martin Niemoller said over 65 years ago. He was a German anti-Nazi activist.

Let's all Speak Truth to Power.

No comments: